Saba Oshizushi (Pressed Horse Mackerel Sushi). Pressed Sushi or Oshizushi is made from layers of cured fish and sushi rice that are placed in a special box called Oshibako (押し箱), and then compressed together by weight, making them into a tightly Mackerel Pressed Sushi consists of vinegar cured mackerel, shiso leaves, and sushi rice. Impress your family and friends by learning how to make unique, delicious and beautiful Pressed Sushi (Oshizushi). This Mackerel Pressed Sushi is made of.
This Mackerel Pressed Sushi is made of three layers: an aburi-style mackerel, shiso, and sushi rice. The Oshizushi with moderately fatty marinated mackerel is so delicious! Instead of using a special oshizushi mold, we are substituting a bento lunch box. You can have Saba Oshizushi (Pressed Horse Mackerel Sushi) using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Saba Oshizushi (Pressed Horse Mackerel Sushi)
- Prepare 2 of fish Horse Mackerel sashimi cuts.
- Prepare 1 of Salt.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of ☆Vinegar.
- You need 1 dash of less than 2 teaspoons ☆Sugar.
- It’s 4 cm of ☆ Kombu for dashi stock.
- Prepare 1 of Sweet pickled ginger (sliced).
- Prepare 5 of Shiso leaves.
- It’s 1 of Sushi rice.
Place the shime saba, Japanese marinated mackerel on a baking sheet and sear the skin thoroughly with the kitchen torch. Use this easy oshizushi recipe to create picture-perfect sushi everybody will want to eat. Oshizushi is made by pressing blocks of rice and sushi toppings in a special mould (called an 'oshibako') to create perfect rectangles. Mackerel or saba is a fish eaten over the whole Northern Hemisphere and does come under many varieties and names.
Saba Oshizushi (Pressed Horse Mackerel Sushi) instructions
- Cut the horse mackerel into 3 pieces, and remove the scute and bones (don't forget the backbone). If you can, ask your fishmonger to remove them for you..
- After patting the fish dry, cover both sides in salt, place at a slight angle in a shallow dish, and let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes..
- Wash the fish from Step 2 with water, thoroughly pat dry, add the ☆ ingredients to the shallow dish, and put it back in the fridge for another 30 minutes or longer..
- Place the skinned horse mackerel, sushi rice, sliced ginger, shiso leaves and more sushi rice into a mold in that order, and pack it in..
- Flip it over and it is done..
As far as sushi is concerned, "masaba" variety is best. It is especially popular as "oshizushi" (pressed sushi). Sushi chefs put rice and marinated, sliced mackerel in order into a small, squared wooden frame and press them together using another piece of wood. As mackerels go off quickly, they are made and marinate to preserve them. We enjoy the sour and rich taste of the fish.