Panettone – Italian Christmas Cake. Panettone is an Italian Christmas tradition. The tall, dome-shaped cake rises with yeast and is utterly delicious when baked right. A panettone—which literally translates to "big loaf"—is a large, dome-shaped cake that has been leavened with yeast.
As in all recipes Italian, everyone believes that either they or their mother makes it the best. Trying to out produce each other, two Milanese bakeries Motta & Alemagna, discovered how to make the cakes industrially. At The Panettone, we pride ourselves on selecting the best Panettone made from the highest quality ingredients and Panettone recipes. You can have Panettone – Italian Christmas Cake using 28 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Panettone – Italian Christmas Cake
- It’s of Preferment.
- Prepare 5 gm of instant yeast.
- Prepare 122 gm of water.
- Prepare 67 gm of high protein flour (13.5% protein or higher).
- It’s of Starter ingredients.
- Prepare 33 gm of unsalted butter.
- You need 22 gm of caster sugar.
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- It’s 100 gm of bread flour.
- You need of Final dough.
- It’s 67 gm of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 67 gm of caster sugar.
- Prepare 1 of large egg & 2 yolks (remove a tbsp of white),.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of Zest of 1 orange & lemon.
- It’s 2 tsp of honey (I used the leftover syrup from making candied orange).
- It’s 204 gm of bread flour, sieved.
- It’s 5 gm of salt.
- You need of Dried Fruits.
- Prepare 50 g of dried cranberries.
- Prepare 50 g of dried apricot.
- It’s 50 g of raisin.
- Prepare 50 g of candied orange.
- Prepare 100 ml of Caribbean Rum.
- You need of Other.
- Prepare of For 2 Corrogulated paper moulds size 112mm x 85mm.
- It’s 12 of -inchmetal or wooden skewers.
- It’s of Or you can use 8 ramenkins & mugs like I did.
Our mission is to be the number one website to buy Panettone. You'll find a variety of traditional Italian breads and Christmas cakes, including classic, maple. Panettone is an Italian type of sweet bread originally from Milan (in the local Milanese dialect it is called panetton, pronounced [paneˈtũː]), usually prepared and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year in. The light and tasty panettone with white raisins and candied fruits is a part of any Christmas celebration in Italy.
Panettone – Italian Christmas Cake step by step
- Soak all dried fruits in rum overnight preferably. Strain excess rum before mixing into dough..
- Starter dough (Preferment): Mix the above and set aside until all bubbly. That's about 30 minutes or thereabout..
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter & sugar until smooth. Add egg & mix until combined. Pour the butter mixture into the Preferment & whisk until combined. Then add the sifted flour into this mixture and fold & whisk until evenly combined. Cover & stick in fridge for 7 to 12 hours. Best is over-night or whatever schedule suits you. It should be about triple in size. When ready to use, take it out & bring to room temperature. That's the first part!.
- Using whisk attachment, beat butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add egg, beat until combined. Add vanilla extract, honey & zest. Add starter dough & beat until incorporated. Change to hook attachment Add flour. Knead for 10 minutes using speed 2. Rest for 5 minutes..
- Knead for another 10 minutes, using speeds 2 & 3 until windowpane..
- Add soaked fruits. Knead for 5 minutes at speed 2, until combined..
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Stretch & fold 3 times with 20 minutes interval. Set aside and let it proof until double in size..
- Lightly oil the counter top. Pour dough out & divide into 2 equal halves or 8 equal pieces if you use Ramenkins. Shape into a boule & drop into case. Oil your hands for easier handling of the dough..
- Let dough proof until just below the rim of the case. Cut a cross at the top & place a, small piece of cold butter in the middle. Or you can egg wash and sprinkle pearl sugar & almond flakes..
- Bake at 170C, bottom rack. Tent the top heat for 5 minutes. Then remove. Continue baking for another 30-35 minutes. Half way through baking, turn the bread 180 degrees..
- Remove from the oven and pierce 12-inch metal or wooden skewers all the way through the panettone (including the paper) 4 inches apart and 1 inch from the bottom so the skewers are parallel. Hang the panettone upside down over a large stockpot and cool completely before cutting. Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool completely. To store the panettone, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then either place in a resealable plastic bag in the fridge..
- This recipe makes a beautiful, soft, supple dough that is much like a brioche. It’s stunning, and the flavor lives up to its looks. The bread is incredibly soft and sweet, and just loaded with flavor thanks to the vanilla bean, lemon zest, cranberries and candied orange peel..
An Italian Christmas treat that's bready with a nice crust and full of dried fruit. Rating One of the best Italian Christmas traditions: its breads like pandoro, panforte, and panettone! Pandoro: This sweet Christmas bread from Verona is star-shaped and dusted with powdered sugar (some say to make it look like the nearby mountains). Just in-time for Christmas, sharing with you recipe for Panettone, Italian Christmas Cake, a sweet yeast-and-egg bread like cake, studded with Panettone came out pretty satisfying, was mild sweet, had distinct rum aroma, and yeast made this cake much lite and having bread like consistency. Originally called Pan de Ton or the "bread of luxury", panettone is a sweet, cake-like bread traditionally eaten during the Christmas and New Year holiday period in Italy.