Pineapple upside-down cake. This pineapple upside down cake is dense, like a sour cream pound cake, with ground almonds in the flour to give it even more substance and a slight almond flavor. The caramel pineapple topping is so good, you'll want to pick every crumb. This is THE best easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake from scratch!
The cake is similar to my Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake recipe with a few modifications. First, I used a little brown sugar in this cake for flavor and extra moisture. Pineapple upside down cake is a retro favourite that's stood the test of time for good reason. You can have Pineapple upside-down cake using 11 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pineapple upside-down cake
- You need 4 of tsp,butter,Melted, divided.
- It’s 4 tsp. of Brown sugar.
- It’s 2 of canned unsweetened pineapple slices.
- It’s 2 of maraschino cherries.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of Sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of Baking powder.
- You need 1/8 tsp of salt.
- It’s Dash of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of Milk.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of Vanilla extract.
Spoon into the prepared cake tin. Cut seven of the pineapple rings in half to make semi-circles and arrange around the tin – you may only need six of the rings depending on how tightly you pack the slices. Pineapple upside-down cake first appeared when canned pineapple became available but the method of creating a luscious caramel-like cake topping has an even longer history. Instead of plain water, use water plus juice from the pineapple can and maraschino cherries jar to add up to the same.
Pineapple upside-down cake instructions
- Pour 1/2 tsp. Butter into each of two 10-oz. ramekins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Top with a pineapple slice. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice ; set aside..
- In a small bowl,combine flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and nutmeg. Beat in the milk,vanilla and remaining butter just until combined. Spoon over pineapple..
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the ramekins; invert onto dessert plates. Serve warm..
Vegan pineapple upside down cake from scratch! Not only is this easy recipe vegan (dairy-free, egg-free), but it's also gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and healthier than most classic pineapple upside down cakes. This pineapple upside-down cake from Delish.com will remind you why it's a classic. Before you say, "That's so retro!", consider why this cake is such a classic: The pineapple topping gets its addictive flavor from melted butter and brown sugar—and yes, maraschino cherries, which we aren't. How to make Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, a sweet retro American treat.