taisen's chicken pot pie. This classic Chicken Pot Pie is filled with tender pieces of chicken, carrot, celery, potato, and herbs. It's cozy comfort food that's wonderful in the winter! Sometimes people think of chicken pot pie as boring freezer food, but when it's done right, made from scratch, it can be really delicious and satisfying.
So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all frozen vegetables, and all dried herbs. This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made by poaching uncooked chicken in stock and milk which is then used as the broth for the creamy filling. Here's what goes in Chicken Pot Pie. You can have taisen's chicken pot pie using 18 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of taisen's chicken pot pie
- Prepare 2 of frozen pie crusts or you can make your own.
- Prepare 7 of to 8 thawed chicken tenders ( you can use any chicken pieces you like ).
- It’s 2 small of frozen bags of peas and carrots.
- You need 2 medium of potatoes ( more if your making it with these on both pies ).
- Prepare 1 can of family can ( 1lb 10 oz) of cream of chicken soup.
- Prepare 2 of chicken bullion cubes.
- It’s 1 of bisquick mix ( I used 2 cups but it was more then I needed).
- Prepare 1 cup of milk ( but I ended up using a bit more ).
- You need 2 of eggs.
- It’s 3 tsp of melted butter.
- Prepare 1 of salt to taste.
- Prepare 1 of pepper to taste.
- It’s 3 tbsp of butter. ( for the peas and carrots ).
- It’s 1 of season salt ( about 5 sprinkles or so ).
- It’s 1 of onion powder ( since my kids don't like onion ).
- Prepare 1 of garlic powder.
- You need 1 small of amount of red pepper.
- It’s 1 of poultry seasoning.
Nothing unusual here – but just a couple of comments on some of the ingredients The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough you're left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance. Homemade Chicken Pot Pie could be the king of all comfort foods, and this homemade version is a guaranteed family favorite!
taisen's chicken pot pie step by step
- the first thing I do is thaw the chicken. if have fresh chicken skip this.
- get 3 pots ready..
- in one pot add the 2 bags of peas and carrots. add enough water to almost cover them. then add in 3 tablespoons of butter ( or less if you desire ). add in onion powder, pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, and season salt. turn heat up to medium high. turn it low once it starts to boil. simmer it but don't let it get mushy. you can turn off the heat but keep a little warm..
- in another pot add in 2 of the bullion cubes and sprinkle some poultry seasoning. add in the chicken. then add water to cover the chicken. turn heat on and cook until the chicken is done..
- while those two are cooking. take your potatoes , peel and rinse. slice them length wise. then slice those in half. then cut into chunks. or anyway you want. get them into a pot. add water to cover add in a bit of pepper. boil for about 10 to 15 minutes or less if you like them more firm.
- to make the crust ( my first attempt for this ) I used 2 cups of bisquick, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of melted butter. since it was to thick I added a little extra butter and milk to it. stir very well. this was the top crust.
- if using frozen pie crusts pull them out to thaw for at least 15 minutes.
- once the chicken is done pull it out of the pot to cool down so you can cut it into pieces.
- preheat your oven to 375.
- drain your potatoes. drain liquid from the peas and carrots..
- pull apart the chicken.
- in a bowl big enough to add everything start adding the peas, carrots, chicken and the cream of chicken. stir. if it is to thick add a little bit of milk at a time until you reach desired constancy.
- you can now start to fill these pies! you can also taste and add in extra seasoning if you like. I didn't add my potatoes to one pie so one had them and the other didn't..
- after filling the pies take the bisquick mixture and carefully put on top. take both pies and put them on a cookie sheet. stick in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. keep an eye on them though so they don't burn..
- pull them out when done. let them settle for about 5 minutes or so then start cutting and making plates. enjoy!.
I use a homemade pie crust for my chicken pot pie, but a store-bought crust would also work. Today I'm continuing with that same concept of good, solid, basic recipes by sharing with you my recipe for a classic Chicken Pot Pie. This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is made from scratch and has a delicious whole wheat biscuit crust. It is a perfect lightened up weeknight dinner recipe that is still cozy and comforting. Are you ready for the most cozy, comforting and delicious chicken pot pie recipe EVER?!