Arroz con Pollo / Rice with Chicken. Mama's Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice also known as Arroz con Pollo. This one pan dinner is made with homemade adobo seasoned chicken, sofrito and savory rice. You'll make this recipe again and again!
Make Arroz con Pollo tonight—everyone loves an easy rice and chicken dish. Turn to packaged saffron rice blend for intriguing flavor for this classic Mexican chicken dish, made even easier with frozen mixed vegetables. Authentic Arroz Con Pollo, or Latin chicken and rice, is the ultimate one-pot meal. You can have Arroz con Pollo / Rice with Chicken using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Arroz con Pollo / Rice with Chicken
- You need 2 tsp of EVOO.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Sofrito.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Chopped Red Onions.
- Prepare 1/2 of Chopped Roasted Sweet Red Pepper.
- It’s 1 of Spanish Olives (optional).
- You need 1 envelope of Chicken Bouillon.
- It’s 1 envelope of Sazon.
- Prepare 1 dash of Cumin.
- It’s 1 of Salt and Pepper to taste.
- You need 1 of Bay Leaf.
- You need 4 oz of Tomato Sauce.
- It’s 1 can of Corn (with water).
- Prepare 1/2 bunch of Chopped Cilantro.
- Prepare 2 cup of Uncooked White Rice.
- It’s 2 1/4 cup of Water.
- You need 1 small of Chicken chopped in medium sized chunks.
It's a classic Colombian dish that I grew up on that I now love to cook for my I season my chicken and rice with sazon, a common Latin spice blend. If you can't find it at your grocery store, you can make your own. I've been trying to duplicate the Arroz con Pollo that my friend's father made many years ago (he was Puerto Rican and made absolutely the best!). This wasn't quite it but it was delicious nonetheless.
Arroz con Pollo / Rice with Chicken step by step
- Cut the chicken in medium chunks (leave wings for another meal), and season with adobo or salt and pepper to taste. *Boneless chicken breast is fine..
- Cook the chicken in a little olive oil or butter on medium to low heat..
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan and add sofrito and onions. (add more oil if needed). On medium heat cook until onions are translucent..
- Add tomato sauce, olives, red pepper, cumin, chicken bouillon, sazon, corn and bay leaf. Cook covered for 5 minutes..
- Add chicken, rice, water, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until most of the water evaporates. ( About 10-15 minutes depending on your stove).
- Once water evaporates, stir from the bottom up ONLY 2-3 times. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes..
- After 20 minutes, stir from the bottom up and rice should be nice and fluffy. If still uncooked cover again and cook for 10 minutes at a time..
- Enjoy :-).
The only drawback was that with the chicken just sitting on top of the flavorful rice the chicken had no. When was the Stewed Rice (Arroz Guisado) served in Puerto Rico? Enjoy preparing this delicious traditional stewed rice that is so popular in the Latin culture – Rice with Chicken (Arroz con Pollo) – using a pressure cooker – Instant Pot. Rinse the rice and place in a bowl. (Please check the ingredients list below). Season the chicken with salt and pepper.