Theeyal. Today on menu Ulli Theeyal -Small Red Onion/Pearl Onion-Shallots Theeyal. Theeyal originates from the state of Kerala in South India. The word 'ulli' in Malayalam refers to small onions /shallots.
With the same recipe, I also make brinjal. The main prep work for this curry is the theeyal masala and here is how to do it. Add in the coriander seeds, dried red chillies and fresh shredded coconut. You can have Theeyal using 19 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Theeyal
- You need 2 of (medium) Bitter gourd.
- Prepare 10 of Pearl onion.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Tamarind paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Jaggery.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- You need of For Masala:.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Coriander seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Fenugreek seeds.
- You need 5-6 of Red chilli.
- It’s 3/4-1 cup of Grated coconut.
- You need 1 strands of Curryleaves.
- It’s 8 of Pearl onions.
- It’s of For Seasoning:.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Coconut oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Coconut oil.
- Prepare 2 of Red chilli.
- Prepare 1 strands of Curryleaves.
The harvest festival of Onam is celebrated with fun and fervor. Feasting and playing games form the important traditions of the festival, which falls on the Malayalam month – Chingam (Aug-Sep). So the authentic vendakka theeyal is ready to serve. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle some curry leaves.
- Cut Pavakya/ bitter gourd and pearl onions into thin strips..
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and fry chopped bitter gourd and pearl onions until it becomes golden brown..
- Stir in between..
- Add tamarind paste/extract to this..
- Also add turmeric powder, salt and jaggery..
- Stir well. Close the vessel and cook for some time..
- In another Kadai/ cheenachatti, add coconut oil, coriander seeds, red chilli, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, pearl onions and grated coconut..
- Roast until it gets a nice dark brown colour..
- Switch off the flame and continue stirring for few seconds to avoid burning..
- When it cool, grind to a fine paste by adding little water..
- Add this paste to the cooked Pavakya, also add required water(around 1& 1/2 cup)..
- Combine well and bring to a boil..
- Cook this in medium-low flame till the gravy thickens and the gravy starts leaving oil at the edges. Switch off the flame..
- Heat some oil in another pan and add mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves..
- Pour the seasoning to the theeyal..
- Serve hot with Rice!!!!.
Ulli Theeyal is a traditional as well as authentic dish in Kerala Cuisine. The tasty flavor and Branded as a Malayalee favorite, Ulli Theeyal is included in Sadhyas. It is roasted coconut mixture that imparts. It is quite similar to Sambar, another popular South Indian dish. Theeyal is made from a mixture of spices consisting of roasted coconut, coriander seeds.