Chennai Fish Curry.
You can have Chennai Fish Curry using 20 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chennai Fish Curry
- It’s 1/2 kg of Fish – (I used Viral fish).
- You need 1 cup of Pearl onions.
- It’s 1 cup of Big onion.
- It’s 10 pods of Garlic.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 3 tsp of Chilli powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- You need 2 tsp of Coriander powder.
- Prepare As needed of Tamarind gooseberry size.
- It’s 2 of Green chillies.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Mustard Seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Fenugreek.
- Prepare 1 sprig of Curry leaves.
- It’s 2 of Tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Jaggery.
- You need 1/8 cup of Coconut milk.
- It’s 5 tsp of Gingerly oil.
- It’s of For garnishing.
- It’s 1 tsp of Gingerly oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Chilli powder.
Chennai Fish Curry step by step
- Chop pearl onions,garlic, green chillies to small pieces..
- Grind big onions to fine paste and keep aside..
- Grind tomatoes to puree and keep it aside..
- Heat oil in a wide kadai, add mustard and when mustard starts spluttering add fenugreek and saute for a minute..
- .Add chopped onions,garlic, green chillies,curry leaves and saute till onions turns translucent..
- Add onion paste, spice powders (chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder) and saute till raw smell leaves..
- Add tomato puree and saute till oil separates..
- Now add tamarind water and boil till raw smell of tamarind disappears..
- Add in 1 cup water, salt, jaggery and boil till the gravy thickens to required consistency..
- Add fish pieces, bring the flame to medium and boil for 5 minutes..
- If adding coconut milk, add at final stage and boil for one minute and remove from flame..
- Finally heat 1 tsp oil in a small kadai and when oil reaches hot, switch off the flame and add chilli powder.Fry once and add the chilli powder along with oil to fish gravy and mix..
- Serve hot with rice, idli, dosaand aapam too..
- Notes :Marinate fish with 1 tsp of lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder for 30 mins and wash once. By this way the smell of fish can be removed. As coconut milk gives thickness to kuzhambu I add it, you can skip it too. Step 12 is optional, but it gives nice aroma and colour to kuzhambu..