Kerala Style Spicy Chicken Curry.
You can cook Kerala Style Spicy Chicken Curry using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Kerala Style Spicy Chicken Curry
- Prepare 2-3 lbs of Free range organic whole chicken – skinless ,cut into medium size pieces.
- You need of Curry leaves few strands (or handful of leaves).
- Prepare 2 of medium size purple onions – chopped into fine pieces.
- You need 2 of large tomatoes- cut into fine pieces.
- You need of Extra virgin coconut oil required for cooking.
- It’s 3-4 of green chillies chopped vertically.
- Prepare 1 cup of cilantro leaves – chopped.
- It’s 1 1/2-2 cups of coconut milk (another option – take 1 cup of shredded coconut and grind it into fine paste in mixer and use).
- It’s 1 tbsp of ginger paste (around 2'' piece).
- It’s 1 tbsp of garlic paste (around 4-5 nos).
- You need 2 tsp of vinegar.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- It’s of For Masala :.
- You need 5-8 of Dried red chilli (add more or less depending on spice level).
- It’s 10 of Black peppercorns.
- It’s 3-4 tbsp of coriander seeds.
- Prepare 3-4 of cardamom pods.
- It’s 3-4 of cloves.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp of Fennel seeds.
- You need 2 of small sticks cinnamon (or 1/2 tsp if using powder).
- It’s 2-3 strands of curry leaves.
- Prepare 4-5 of pearl onions – peeled and chopped into two halves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
Kerala Style Spicy Chicken Curry step by step
- In a pan pour 1 tbsp of coconut oil and wait till the oil becomes hot. Next, fry all the items mentioned under masala section till the nice aroma of masala comes. Turn off the heat and wait for the mixture to cool down before you grind it into a thick paste (add some water for grinding). Keep this masala paste aside.
- In a cooking dish add few teaspoons of coconut oil required to fry the chopped onions. Wait till onion changes color. Then add salt as required..
- Next add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and fry well. Into this add chopped tomato pieces, few curry leaves and sauté well.
- Add vinegar and the previously prepared masala paste and continue to sauté well..
- Add chicken pieces into this. Cover the dish and cook for 5 minutes. Now ,add coconut milk/paste and mix well. Allow this to cook for 2 – 5 minutes or till the chicken is cooked. Add hot water if you need more gravy. Finally add chopped cilantro, curry leaves. Mix everything well and bring it to a boil..
- Turn off the heat and pour 1/2 tsp coconut oil on the top. Serve hot with rice, roti, puttu, dosa, etc ..