Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese).
You can cook Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
- It’s 16 of small red potatoes, or 8 medium russet, or whatever potatoes enough to equal that.
- It’s 1 lb. of box Velveeta Cheese or store brand, whatever flavor you like.
- You need 1-2 of onions any kind, depending on how much you like onions. (Obviously use more than 2 if you like pearl onions, just get at least a lb.).
- It’s 1 (16 oz.) of container of sour cream, or more depending on if you like it creamy.
- It’s 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted margarine or butter.
- You need 1 cup of instant mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand is my favorite).
- Prepare 8 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or make it with 8 cups water and 8 bouillon cubes) plus ~4 cups extra water (enough to cover).
- It’s 1 lb. of fresh sliced carrots.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery.
- You need 1 lb. of cooked cubed ham (approximately).
- You need 1 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning.
- You need of Salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- It’s of Crackers and bacon bits (optional).
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) step by step
- Wash and cube potatoes (1 inch thickness and add them with seasoning, carrots and ham to a covered ~12 qt. pot to boil over medium to medium-high heat in the broth until tender. (I like to cheat here and microwave the potatoes before I cut them up to help them along). Make sure you add just enough extra water to cover ingredients (~4 more cups). Stir occasionally..
- Sauté over medium heat, onions and celery in margarine or butter just until tender and add the to the pot..
- After potatoes are really fork tender (may need to taste one), melt the cheese in the microwave or a sauce pan following package directions. (I cube it and microwave 1 min. stir, 1 min. stir and 1 min. more and stir in a splash of milk to loosen it up if necessary). Add to pot and stir..
- Add instant potatoes to pot and stir until dissolved..
- Add sour cream to pot and stir..
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup thicken by simmering over low heat, probably ~10 mins depending on the amount of extra water added..
- Sit back and relax, you’re done, enjoy with/without real bacon bits and/or crackers (I like Ritz)..