Fried Green Tomatoes. Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. With Kathy Bates, Jessica Tandy, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker.
Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow dish. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip each tomato slice in the egg to coat, then in the flour mixture. You can have Fried Green Tomatoes using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Fried Green Tomatoes
- Prepare 6 of Green Tomatoes.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 1 cup of corn meal.
- It’s 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of flour.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 of oil for frying.
Southern Living's Test Kitchen thinks the best part of this dish is that anyone can make and enjoy them at home. Directed by Jon Avnet and written by Flagg and Carol Sobieski, it stars Kathy Bates, Jessica Tandy, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Mary-Louise Parker. The book and movie helped the dish's popularity-visitors come from all over the country to. Dredge tomatoes in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
Fried Green Tomatoes instructions
- Slice all tomatoes. Place in buttermilk..
- Mix remaining ingredients together..
- Coat tomatoes liberally both sides with breading..
- Place in oil. Fry each side until golden brown..
- Drain on plate with paper towels. Salt..
Make sure to choose unripe green tomatoes (ones that haven't yet turned red) and not tomatillos or heirloom tomatoes, like Green Zebras, that remain green even when ripe. Once the green starts to lighten or turn colors you will find the tomatoes have too much moisture for the perfect fried green tomato. I, too, like to add cayenne and paprika and maybe a little black pepper. Grilled green tomatoes are so good! It is a different taste than when fried, but definitely fewer calories.