Sausage and Apple Empanadas. Sausage and Apple Empanadas – A super delicious (and easy!) empanadas recipe filled with sausage, apple, sweet potato, sage and other Then we made a very simple empanada dough and filled that with the sausage and apple filling! You can bake these sausage and apple empanadas. Empanadas are a traditionally Spanish or Latin American stuffed pastry.
These from scratch empanadas are filled with a spicy sausage I made my empanada dough with butter here, but you can use lard as well if you like. There will be a difference in taste, but regardless of how you. Our delicious empanadas are handmade, baked not fried, and always filled with love. You can cook Sausage and Apple Empanadas using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sausage and Apple Empanadas
- It’s 2 lbs of Hot Italian Sausage.
- Prepare 2 of Melrose Apples.
- Prepare 1/8 cup of Feta cheese crumbles.
- It’s 2 tsp of Ground Sage.
- It’s 1 tsp of Poultry Seasoning.
- Prepare 1 cup of Corn starch slurry.
- You need of Unsweetened Fry Pie Dough.
- Prepare 1 dash of Nutmeg.
Her newest idea is The Empanada Company, specializing in a variety of different types of empanadas and pastries from Mexico and other countries. My grandmother used to make these sweet treats with leftover dough from meat empanadas. She would cook chopped fresh apples with sugar and raisins to make the filling, then fry the empanadas after dinner for a much-anticipated dessert. Apple filling: In a medium saucepan, simmer diced apples, cider, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over low heat until apples are soft.
Sausage and Apple Empanadas instructions
- Add the sage and poultry seasoning to the sausage and brown in a large cast iron skillet..
- Prepare your favorite fry pie dough omitting the sugars. We used a GF recipe and also tried a few in fresh made corn tortillas. Between the 2 types of dough we had enough to make 14 empanadas..
- Once brown chop 1 apple into 1/2 inch chucks and add to the sausage and cook until softened..
- Chop the 2nd apple into 1/4 inch chunks and stir into the sausage with the nutmeg-just a couple passes across a microplane is enough. Set the temp to low..
- Add the feta and cornstarch slurry. Then take off heat and let cool a bit so the dough can be stuffed..
- Heat another cast iron skillet with either shortening or your favorite oil to 350°..
- Roll the dough out to about 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick and cut out 6 inch rounds..
- Stuff each round, dab water along the edges of the round then fold in half. Crimp the edge with a fork to seal..
- Fry only 2-3 at a time to not drop the temp of the oil. Brown both sides the set on a wire rack to drain and keep in an oven on the lowest setting to keep warm..
- Serve with some breaded leek rings and try to not over eat!.
Place several empanadas in hot oil at a time, cooking on one side, and turning over when golden brown. Apple & Cheddar Empanadas. click here to see more like this. Apple Pie Empanadas from Delish.com put all other apple pies to shame. Brush empanadas with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. An empanada is a type of baked or fried turnover consisting of pastry and filling, common in Southern European, Latin American, Indonesian and Filipino cultures.