Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken. This Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken is the crockpot version of the traditional General Tso's Chicken. This homemade slow cooker version is healthier than your typical takeout, but still just as tasty! Any crockpot I have ever used tends to steam as it cooks.
It smells and tastes just like Chinese take away. My family loves General Tso's Chicken. I have a large oval crockpot and the The General Tso's doesn't wind up tasting pineapple-y, but if you're still nervous I'd recommend using orange juice! You can have Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken
- Prepare 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Prepare 3 of garlic cloves minced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of fresh ginger minced.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ketchup.
- You need 3 tbsp of hoisin sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of teriaki glaze.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of corn starch.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare of Sesame seeds and green onion for garnish.
I've never tried it that way. Great recipe for Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken. My General Tso's is kind of a copycat of a local family owned Chinese restaurant. Once I tasted theirs I had to make it at home.
Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken instructions
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and toss in corn starch and black pepper. I use a large ziplock bag..
- Brown in skillit for a few minutes..
- IN CROCKPOT: Move chicken to crockpot. Mix all other ingredients and pour over chicken. Let cook on low 3-4 hours on high 2-3 hours..
- When there is a half hour left of cooking, mix 2 tbsp of corn starch and 3 tbsp of water and add to crockpot to thicken sauce..
- STOVETOP: finish cooking the chicken in the skillet. Add the sauce in the skillit when the chicken is done. simmer untill sauce is thick..
- Sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds for garnish and serve over rice, or with a side of steamed broccoli..
The crockpot method is great for making a lot for a group. General Tso's chicken (pronounced [tswò]) is a sweet deep-fried chicken dish that is served in North American Chinese restaurants. The dish is named after Zuo Zongtang. An easy General Tso's chicken recipe that yields crispy chicken without deep-frying. It also uses much less sugar while maintaining a great bold taste.