Slow Cooker Chicken Mole. Serve the whole leg quarters over brown basmati rice, or shred the chicken off the bone and layer onto corn tortillas with cilantro, radishes, and a squeeze of lime for family taco night. Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a platter. Spoon some mole sauce over the top; serve extra sauce in a bowl on the side.
Dark chocolate and spices add richness to the Mexican chile sauce called mole (MOH-lay). Simmer it in a slow cooker along with chicken thighs for a warming weeknight dinner. Mexican mole sauce can be intimidating. You can cook Slow Cooker Chicken Mole using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Chicken Mole
- You need 2 lbs of Boneless, skinless Chicken thighs.
- It’s 2 tsp of Ground Black Pepper.
- You need 1 (14.5 oz) of Can of Diced Tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 of Medium Onion, diced.
- It’s 2 of Dried Ancho Chiles, stemmed.
- Prepare 2 of Large Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce, plus 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Sliced Almonds, roasted or not. Does not matter.
- You need 1/3 Cup of Bittersweet Chocolate, finely chopped.
- You need 2-3 Cloves of Garlic, diced.
- You need 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Ground Cumin.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Ground Cinnamon.
It's rich, full of flavor, and not too sweet, despite the chocolate. Place chicken on a cutting board; remove bones. This isn't necessarily a shortcut version of Mexico's iconic sauce — all of the classic ingredients are part of the preparation — but it delivers complex. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Chicken Mole step by step
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with pepper and place them in the slow cooker..
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend on high until it is of a smooth consistency, about 1 to 2 minutes..
- Pour the Mole Sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker. Stir together the sauce and chicken..
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Check out the chicken. If you wish it to be more tender, then cook another 1-2 hours..
- Remove the chicken and the sauce into a bowl and then shred it with two forks..
Chicken may be served intact with sauce spooned over, or you may shred the chicken using two forks and stir into the sauce before using as a taco/tortilla filling, or as a dip for chips. This slow cooker chicken mole is a delicious way to get all the great flavor of the traditional Mexican favorite without the effort. These fall-apart chicken ideas are basically the easiest recipes ever. The slow cooker does most of the work for you, so your soup, casserole, or taco meat can be ready to go the minute you get home from work. Fire-roasted tomatoes, chipotle chiles in adobo, chocolate and spices melt together in your slow cooker to create a deep, decadent mole sauce.