Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned. To put a Southwestern spin on a healthy slow-cooker chicken soup, we built a flavorful base by skillet-browning our aromatics in a small amount of oil. This zesty soup can simmer in the crock pot for an entire workday, making it perfect for a busy weekday meal.
If you like this skinny southwestern chicken soup, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Chicken Vegetable Soup, Quick & Easy Chicken White Bean Salsa. Learn how to make Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken and Potato Soup & see the Smartpoints value of this great recipe. Slow Cooker Hearty Mixed Bean Stew with Sausage. You can cook Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- It’s 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- Prepare 6 cups of water.
- You need 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- You need 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- It’s 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- Prepare 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- Prepare 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- You need 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- You need 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- It’s of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
Picante sauce adds a flavorful kick to this easy to prepare soup that slow cooks all day so you come home to enticing aromas and a pot of warm, comforting soup. This turbocharged, south-of-the-border chicken soup features a spicy, tomatoey broth overflowing with tender shredded chicken and fresh, bright By the editors at America's Test Kitchen. Why This Recipe Works: This turbocharged. Place the chicken breasts in the bowl of a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup step by step
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
You can even put the chicken in frozen. Remove the chicken and shred with a fork, return to soup. This slow cooker chicken soup recipe is about to become your new go-to. If you're looking for a comforting, homemade chicken soup, look no Our Soulful Chicken Soup is coming in hot and you're going to love it. The trick here is to cook low and slow.