Meatloaf Cupcakes W/ Mashed Potato Frosting. After savoring these meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato "icing," you may never make meatloaf the same way again. Reduce heat; cook potatoes until fork-tender. The mashed potato frosting is basically my skinny garlic mashed potatoes made with fresh thyme which really compliments the meatloaf.
I piped the mashed potato on for the photo but ordinarily I just pile it on then fluff it up with a fork – much faster! These meatloaf cupcakes have a whipped sweet potato frosting and fresh herb "sprinkles"! Granted, frosted meat cupcakes may not sound like a treat, but this recipe takes plain ol' meat and potatoes and makes them fun and appealing for kids. You can have Meatloaf Cupcakes W/ Mashed Potato Frosting using 17 ingredients and 22 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Meatloaf Cupcakes W/ Mashed Potato Frosting
- It’s of meatloaf mix:.
- You need 2 lb of lean ground beef or turkey.
- It’s 6 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 3/4 cup of beef broth.
- You need 2 large of eggs.
- Prepare 2 cup of quick cook oats.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fine diced onion.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of choice.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of ground black pepper.
- It’s of topper:.
- You need 9 tbsp of tomato ketchup.
- You need of potato frosting:.
- You need 3 lb of bag idaho potatoes.
- It’s 4 oz of cream cheese.
- It’s 4 tbsp of butter or margarine.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded cheese of choice.
Meatloaf baked in muffin cups and topped with mashed potatoes, also known as meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato icing, are kid-approved. I received repeated compliments on these meatloaf cupcakes. I will definitely make them again. I will probably double the recipe and freeze the leftovers.
Meatloaf Cupcakes W/ Mashed Potato Frosting step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl mix together all meatloaf mix ingredients with clean hands until combined well!.
- Prepare 9 jumbo muffin cups with non stick baking spray..
- Fill muffin cups to the rim with meatloaf mix. Pack it down well!.
- Top each one with the topper! 1tbl. Ketchup per meatloaf cupcake..
- Bake in oven for about 45-50 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160°F.
- Meanwhile while that's cooking, peel and boil potatoes as you normally would for mashed potatoes..
- When fork tender drain from water and return to pot..
- Beat in butter and cream cheese until creamy. U don't want lumps for this one..
- Stir in cheese. And set aside to cool for a few moments..
- Prepare a piping bag with your favorite tip or ziplock bag with a small hole cut in corner..
- Fill bag with mashed potatoes. And set aside..
- When meatloaf is done drain any grease and let it rest for 10-15 minutes..
- Pop meatloaf cupcakes out the tin and place onto serving plate…
- Pipe the potatoes as u would normal frosting in any design or manner you choose on top of meatloaf cupcake..
- You will have leftover potatoes. Just serve them with meal..
- Serve your meatloaf cupcakes hot and enjoy!.
- Tips from me to u:.
- I used motz cheese for both meatloaf and potatoes the motz I used was infused with oregano. But u can use any type of cheese you wish. Just use the same cheese in meatloaf and in potatoes so flavors don't clash. :).
- Makes 9 jumbo meatloaf cupcakes. Wich will serve 5-9 people depending on how big of an eater you are..
- They do reheat well! So great for lunch the next day!.
- Feel free to use your favorite meatloaf recipe in place of this one!.
Transfer the mashed potatoes to a large resealable bag. Snip off one corner of the bag. Sprinkle with parsley (optional), drizzle with ketchup, and top each with a grape tomato. "Frost" or "ice" each meatloaf cupcake with about ¼ cup favorite mashed potatoes. Use decorator's pastry bag with swirl tip if desired to frost cupcakes! Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly covered container.