Githeri with potatoes #AuthorMarathon. Heat up the cooking oil in a pan. Place a clean frying pan on heat and add some oil. Slice the onion and add to the hot oil.
The maize and beans are mixed together in a sufuria or pot, water is then added and the mixture boiled until the food is cooked and ready to eat. Fry onions and garlic to golden brown, the add tomatoes salt and pepper and cook to paste, add potatoes and a bit of water. Gither is a staple food in most parts of East Africa. You can have Githeri with potatoes #AuthorMarathon using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Githeri with potatoes #AuthorMarathon
- You need of Githeri preboiled.
- Prepare 1/2 kg of potatoes.
- Prepare of Onions.
- Prepare of Tomatoes.
- It’s of Carrots.
- Prepare of Courgette.
- It’s of Oil.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- It’s cube of Chicken.
Githeri is made by first boiling beans and Fresh maize in a pot. After its ready, it can be made into. Githeri is a simple yet nourishing Kenyan dish that originated with Kikuyu tribe. The combination of beans and corn supplies a full complement of protein.
Githeri with potatoes #AuthorMarathon step by step
- Peel and clean the potatoes. Chop the vegetables..
- Cook the onions/oil in a sufuria until browned..
- Add in the chopped vegetables and stir as they cook..
- Once done, add the potatoes and and salt. Add the chicken cube as well. Stir well and if too dry, add a little water and let them cook for a while..
- Add the githeri and a ½ cup of water. Let it simmer for about 10mins or until well done..
- Serve and enjoy.
Githeri ingredients – the secret lies in the ingredients. The most basic ingredient for any githeri meal is maize and beans. Additions such as tomatoes, onions, potatoes, green peas, cabbage or kales. I love my githeri with potatoes; and in the event I do not use some, it's only because I was too lazy to peel some. I cut mine quite small, so that they cook fast and so that I can have a taste of everything in.