Olivier Salad (aka Russian Potato Salad). Olivier Salad, also known as Russian Potato Salad, is one of the most iconic Russian foods. You might have heard about it or even tasted it in some restaurants all around the globe because it's quite widespread. This Olivier Salad (Russian Potato Salad) recipe is such a unique recipe.
It consists of diced potatoes, vegetables, eggs, chicken and mayo. Everything is in this Olivier salad recipe: vegetables, meat and even a healthy dose of cholesterol with mayonnaise and eggs. Well, after all, you can adjust the dose. You can have Olivier Salad (aka Russian Potato Salad) using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Olivier Salad (aka Russian Potato Salad)
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of red potatoes skin on.
- It’s 2 large of carrots peeled & diced.
- You need 2 large of celery stalks diced.
- It’s 1 cup of frozen peas.
- You need 1 cup of diced pickles (I like claussen).
- Prepare 5 tbsp of dijon mustard (yellow is fine).
- You need 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- It’s 1 cup of mayo.
- You need 4 of boiled eggs (peeled and chopped).
- It’s 1 of green apple diced (grannysmith).
- You need 1 of salt to taste (start with a teaspoon).
Olivier Salad, or Russian potato salad, is a meal on its own. Loaded with lots of vegetables, meats and eggs and finished with creamy mayo, this Russian salad is so satisfying and filling! While I was born and raised in Mongolia, I grew up in a small Russian community. Skin boiled potatoes and dice them into small cubes like it is shown on the photo below Russian Potato Salad (Olivier Salad) – this fancy potato salad is traditionally made for holidays in all Slavic families.
Olivier Salad (aka Russian Potato Salad) instructions
- Get your potatoes boiled until cooked through. About 30 to 40 min once boiling starts. Check doneness by placing a knife through potatoe… Should slide right off the knife when done. Peel the skin off the potatoe after its cooked. The skin should slide right off. Some people prefer boiling with out the skin, but that makes the potatoes watery and mushier. You decide..
- Drain potatoes. Let potatoes cool until you can handle them. About 30 min. Dice potatoes and place in a very large bowl..
- Add your carrots, celery and peas to a small pot with water and boil for 5 min. Drain water..
- Add all of your ingredients to the potatoes and mix very well. Taste. Add more salt until it reaches desired seasoning..
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Serve as a potatoe salad side dish..
- As the salad sits over night the flavors will come together and you won't believe how amazing this potatoe salad is!.
It is made of potatoes, eggs, carrots, sausage, pickles, peas and mayo. Using smoked sausage in this salad ups the flavor of this salad and makes it all that much more delicious! This salad is often served in Russia on New Years. Whether you call it Russian Potato Salad or Olivier Salad, you are sure to enjoy it. This Russian potato salad recipe aka salad Oliver is a combination of potatoes, eggs, chicken, pickles and herbs in a flavourful mayonnaise based What is Russian Potato Salad Olivier?